A father rushed his baby daughter to hospital after he heard her 'crying in a different way' – only for her to be diagnosed with life-threatening sepsis and put in a three-day coma.
Stu Bonsall, 45, from Burnley, Lancashire, is urging other parents to trust their instincts, even if they might 'look an idiot' for doing so.
He said: 'I could so easily have done nothing – fearing I'd be told I was over-reacting.
'But my actions saved Megan's life.
'I will never regret that, I would advise all worried parents to visit their hospital. It could save your baby's life.'
'I would rather look an idiot and know my daughter is okay.'
Mr Bonsall said: 'I know all babies cry, I'm not stupid.
'But I sensed something was different. I wanted a doctor to check her over.
'I would rather look an idiot and know my daughter is okay.
'It's a good job I trusted my gut, because in a matter of minutes, she was rushed from casualty to Manchester Children's Hospital (MCH) with sepsis.
'Don't be scared of visiting your doctors or local hospital, because you never know.'
'It was touch and go'
Father-of-three Mr Bonsall, a service engineer, was concerned when he returned home from work on June 11, 2016, and heard Megan, then just four weeks old, sobbing in a way he had not heard before.
When his wife, Tracy Bonsall, 44, told him Megan had been like that for a few hours, his worries increased.
Megan's parents drove the youngster four miles from their home to Burnley General Hospital.
Mr Bonsall said: 'We were told she was seriously ill and she was being put in an induced coma. 'It was terrifying.
'Then, doctors said she was being taken to the bigger MCH.
'We were to travel behind her ambulance by car. We were told, even if the ambulance pulled over on the way, not to stop.
'It made me think she was going to die before she got there.'
At MCH, she was taken to neonatal intensive care, where a series of tests were carried out.
Soon after, Megan was diagnosed with sepsis, a life-threatening condition where the body's response to infection causes injury to its own tissues and organs.
It is unclear how exactly Megan developed sepsis, however, it is most commonly caused by an infection.
'Our daughter is well and healthy after our quick thinking'
Megan was put on intravenous drips and her family were told to wait and see what happened.
Mr Bonsall said: 'Suddenly, because of all the drugs they were feeding her, she was double her size.
'It was awful to see, but we just hoped she would get better.'
After three days, Megan – who responded well to treatment - was brought out of the coma.
One week later she was allowed to go home and is now a happy, healthy one-year-old.
Mr Bonsall said: 'It was touch and go, but our daughter is well and healthy, after the fantastic staff and our quick thinking to have her checked out.
|WHAT IS SEPSIS?
Sources : Dailymail
Dust Storms In India Claim Over 70
As many as 72 people were killed in Uttar Pradesh (UP) and Rajast
Syria 'chemical attack': Trump pled
US President Donald Trump has promised a "forceful" res
Brazil judge tells Lula to turn him
A Brazilian judge has ordered that the former President Luiz In&a
Spy poisoning: Russia says UK is 'p
Russia has accused the UK of inventing a "fake story" a
Trump threatens further $100bn in t
US President Donald Trump has instructed officials to consider a
German dachshund museum in Passau '
A new museum in the Bavarian city of Passau celebrates Germany